Importance of Prayer in Christian Life and Leadership Qualities In Nehemiah
- Christians express their faith in God.
- Christians acknowledge the majesty, holiness and power of God.
- Prayer strengthens relationship between human beings and God.
- Prayer expresses Christians love and gratitude to God and neighbours.
- Prayer helps Christians to listen to God and seek his will.
- Through prayers, Christians request for their needs.
Prayer gives Christians strength and courage to face and overcome the challenges of life. Prayers help Christians to reconcile with one another.
To thank God.
Good leadership qualities in Nehemiah
Read Nehemiah 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
1. Trust — Nehemiah trusted in God. He relied on God for protection and strength to do his work.
2. Prayerfulness — He prayed constantly seeking Gods guidance and will before making important decisions.
3. Courage — He displayed courage even when his life was in danger.
4. Hard work and commitment — Nehemiah was dedicated to the work of rebuilding the Jerusalem wall.
5. He had a team spirit — Motivating people to work.
6. He had good planning and organizational skills. He was visionary — a strategic planner.
7. He had compassion for the needy. He protected the underprivileged such as the poor.
8. He was patriotic — He loved his motherland. He took initiative to return home and help rebuild their national life.
9. He was wise and decisive — He made wise decisions at the right time. He was a firm leader.
10. He was a role — model. He led by example.
11. He was honest and sincere. His prayers show hoe honest he was with himself.
Relevance of Nehemiah's leadership to Christians today
- Christians should trust in God and seek his guidance in all their needs.
Christians should live a life of prayer. They should pray for their need, the needs of others and of the nation.
Christians should be ready to defend the gospel of Jesus Christ.
Christians should perform their responsibilities diligently and be honest, just and dedicated to their work.
Christians should set realistic goals and manage their time properly. They should live a responsible organised life.
They should seek wisdom from God to be able to choose appropriate activities to achieve their goals.
Christians should care for the needy by providing material and moral support.
They should be patriotic- ready to defend their country against internal and external aggression.
Christians should fight for the rights of the oppressed and the challenged. For instance children, widows, orphans and aged.
- They should condemn all forms of injustice, corruption and discrimination in society.
Problems faced by Nehemiah
Read Nehemiah 3:5, 4,5,13
1. Lack of cooperation when rebuilding the wall of Jerusalem (Nehemiah 3:5)
The nobles of Tekoa objected to doing manual work while some other people felt that the work was too demanding.
2. Opposition from enemies (Nehemiah 4:1-13, 16-23)
Nehemiah faced opposition from his enemies who tried to kill him. They had failed to discourage him from carrying out his mission. The builders had to arm and defend themselves as well as build the wall.
3. Oppression of the poor (Nehemiah 5:1-18) Nehemiah had to fight against the social injustice and oppression. The rich were oppressing the poor which was against the Mosaic Law.
4. Misuse of the temple and the offerings (Nehemiah 13:4-13)
The Levites had abandoned their duties in the temple and gone away to cultivate their farms. Nehemiah did re-organize the temple worship and offerings.
5. Violation of the Sabbath (Nehemiah 13:15-22) There was laxity in the observance of the Sabbath law. Some people went to work in farms and traders carried out their businesses on the Sabbath day. Nehemiah ensured that Sabbath day was kept holy.
6. Foreign influence (Nehemiah 13:1-3, 23-28) There was the problem of foreign influence resulting from intermarriage between Jews and Non Jews. This threatened the identity of the Israelites as a nation. Nehemiah cleansed the Jews of all foreign influence.