HOW OF GET A MARRIAGE CERTIFICATE IN GHANA AND REQUIREMENTS NEEDED
Steps of obtaining Marriage certificate:
There should be marriage registration for the couple where both or one of them should be a citizens of Ghana. The couple should give a notice to the registry ,a month before where registration is carried down in registrar’s office.
If no oppositions against marriage within 21 days after registration from people, the registrar issues a certificate to the couple. Within the 21days days offered, those who wish to make any objections about the marriage are given a chance before the wedding is made official .If no objections are brought about , then the wedding continues as planned.
The couple signs the certificate after carrying out the marriage ceremony hence becoming officially married. The couple gets married in any local office of the registrar of at any authorized place that the couple has suggested such as a licensed church.
Marriage certificate is important because it shows that the marriage is legal ,it also protects the rights of the couple and it can also been used for identification of the couple. Marriage certificate also enables government to know the population of the people who are married in Ghana.
Document needed in issuing of marriage certificate in Ghana:
· Certificate of impediment-This certificate is required from foreign citizens as an assurance that no partner between the two is married to anyone else in other countries.
· One should have a copy of ID[identification Card] and passports of both of the applicants-This are required for the issuing of the certificate to the couple.
· Passport photos of both of the partners-These are for issuance of the customary marriage in Ghana. Certain number of photos are required depending on the region of application .Mostly 5 to 7 passports are the ones required.
· Birth certificate of the partners.
· Statutory declaration-It is an oath made by the judiciary, by the judge or magistrate. It has to be provided in case you want to divorce so that one can prove that the previous marriage was solved out.
· Divorce certificate if the couple divorced before to prove that they are no longer in a relationship.
· Validity of marriage –In Ghana ,marriage between partners has a valid time that it is legal. For example ,when one of the partner passes.
Requirements for obtaining marriage certificate in Ghana:
One or both the partners should be from the republic of Ghana s that the marriage certificate can be offered.
All applications of the marriage should be made by the registrar in his\her office located in the neighborhood.
However, if the applicant is between 16-18 years, then the marriage certificate is issued in Accra Metropolitant Assembly.